The University of Toronto requires that all courses, both undergraduate and graduate, be evaluated by students. The normal practice in Arts & Science is to utilize the University of Toronto’s centralized course evaluation framework and online delivery system. This framework provides a customizable course evaluation form that includes 8 core institutional questions and 3 Arts & Science questions. Academic units and instructors may each choose to add up to 3 questions drawn from a central question bank. Currently, course evaluation information and data are shared with divisions, academic administrators, instructors, and students through email and Quercus. Student responses to instructor-selected questions are only shared with the instructor.
Important Dates for Winter 2019
ROSI Express Verification
To ensure that the Course Evaluation Team has accurate course and instructor information for the online course evaluation system, each department must review and make any necessary changes to the two ROSI Express Reports, “Course/Instructor Diagnostics” and “Scheduled Courses for Evaluation”.
- Deadline: Thursday, January 31, 2019 for Y courses and Winter H courses
Instructors may add up to 3 questions to their course evaluation form from the central question bank during this period. Instructors will receive an email from the Course Evaluation Team prompting them to do this.
- March 12 – 19, 2019 for Y courses and Winter H courses
Students are invited evaluate their courses during this period.
- March 21 – April 5, 2019 for Y courses and Winter H courses
Course Evaluation Reports Release Dates
- Winter 2019 reports will be released to academic administrators on April 22, 2019 and to instructors on May 22, 2019.
Relevant Course Evaluation Resources for Faculty and Staff
Arts & Science Documents
- Further Research on Gender Bias in Course Evaluation Data
- FAS Procedures for Course Evaluations (provides detailed information on the roles and responsibilities of the institution, division, academic unit, and instructor). Please email us for a copy.
- FAS Course Evaluation Interpretation Guidelines for Academic Administrators. Please email us for a copy.
Institutional Documents Available on the Course Evaluation Website (require UTORid log-in to access the files)
- CTSI Tip Sheet for Running Online Course Evaluations in Class
- PowerPoint Slide to Announce in-class Evaluations
- ROSI Express: Confirm Instructors for Evaluation
- ROSI Express: Instructor and Coordinator Diagnostic Report (PPT)
- Designated User: Error Solution Walk-through (Winter 2014) (PDF)
- Designated User: How to Add Additional Instructors Walk-through (PPT)
UofT Course Evaluation Support
Arts & Science Course Evaluation Support