Teaching-stream faculty with full-time continuing appointments in the Faculty of Arts & Science are invited to apply for Teaching Stream Pedagogical Grants (TSPG). These grants encourage innovation and leadership in teaching by individuals or collaborative teams of faculty.
Amounts up to $2,000/fiscal year (May-April) may be requested from the TSPG (through one or more applications) for the following purposes:
- Support for pedagogical research (e.g. statistical analysis, research assistance)
- Educational software or other course or classroom materials
- Attending or organizing events supporting professional development and professional learning of teaching-stream faculty
- Other expenses associated with implementing new or enhanced pedagogical approaches or with the assessment of or scholarly inquiry into post-secondary teaching and learning
- Registration and travel expenses to attend conferences related to teaching and learning or to present on teaching and learning topics at disciplinary conferences. Please note that, to encourage a range of pedagogical activities, funding for conferences will be limited to a portion of the total funds distributed. Please see the TSPG Criteria for Conference Funding (below).
Normally, total expenses will be shared between this grant and the academic unit. Faculty interested in applying for funds are asked to discuss their application with their academic unit head. Please contact Thuy Huynh, Teaching & Learning Project Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-946-3890) if you’d like to discuss this with us.
In 2019-20, applications will be accepted three times:
- Friday, July 5, 2019
- Friday, November 15, 2019
- Friday, March 13, 2020
To apply, please complete the TSPG online application form here. You will be asked to provide:
- A short overview and rationale for your funding request (max. 500 words), including supporting evidence, anticipated benefits for the participating faculty members and students, the academic unit and/or Faculty of Arts & Science as a whole; and
- A detailed budget, including matching funds from the unit.
- TSPG applications are reviewed by teaching stream faculty and the Dean’s Office in consultation with the applicant’s academic unit.
- For approved applications, funds will be transferred to the academic unit and will normally be available for 12 months. Faculty must work with their unit to access the funds.
- Successful applicants may be asked to provide a brief accounting of their expenditures and experiences.